THE COMPETITION IS NOW CLOSED TO ENTRIES
- Entries are not judged anonymously but in conjunction with a
short biography of your writing life to date.
- There is no age restriction, as the awards will be judged on
the applicants’ writing abilities.
- Entries must be a new (less than two years old) piece of
- Entries must be typed (handwritten entries will not be judged)
on standard A4 paper, single spaced in Arial 12pt. Do not use
staples, paperclips or any form of binding on your entry.
- Entries that exceed the stated maximum word count will not be
- All entries must be aimed at adults; work aimed at children
will not be judged.
- Entries must be written in English.
- Entries may have been entered in competitions elsewhere.
- To be eligible, writers must not have had a dedicated
publication of their work in their entry category (i.e. a novel or
collection of poems or short stories). They may have had work
published as part of an anthology, included in a literary magazine
or published via self-publishing or the Internet.
- Writers may be published in a different category to the one
they are entering (i.e. a published poet may enter an extract from
a novel in the fiction category).
- Writers must be proven to be resident in the UK and committed
to the award until 31/09/08. This is to ensure the writers may
benefit from the New Writing Ventures development programme, which
forms part of the award.
- You may enter more than once and in more than one category. An
entry fee of £12.50 is payable for each entry.
- Joint entries will not be eligible.
- Entries on behalf of an author who is deceased will not be
- Entries from employees of The New Writing Partnership or
Booktrust are not eligible.
- Entries must be under your own name and home address; pen names
and c/o addresses will not be eligible.
- Only the original entry will be judged; later substitutes or
changes requested by the entrant will not be accepted.
- Entries that do not correspond with the eligibility criteria
will be returned. Any subsequent re-submission must be received by
the closing date.
- Entries must be received by the closing date, entries
postmarked with the closing date will not be accepted.
- The decision of the judges is final.
To enter for the New Writing Ventures Awards please send:
- A completed entry form including a valid email address.
- A short biography of your writing life. Maximum of 300 words.
Two copies please.
- Fiction entry: Maximum of 3000 words. (This may be an extract
from a novel, or a short story).Two copies please
- Creative non-fiction entry: Maximum of 3000 words. Two
- Poetry entry: Between 5-10 poems. Maximum of 2000 words
in total. Please include a title list of the poems
entered. Two copies please.
- A non-refundable cheque for £12.50 (to cover administrative
costs) made payable to Booktrust must accompany each entry.
Please note that no manuscript will be returned, so entrants are
encouraged not to enter original works, only copies.
- If you require acknowledgement of receipt, please enclose an
Contact Tarryn McKay at Booktrust: 020 8516 2972, firstname.lastname@example.org with
Click to download an entry form as